“There are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world. It is unquestionably the most diverse, the most eclectic religion in the history of the world. This concept of just using this word “they” to describe one-and-a-half billion people is actually the definition of bigotry.” —Reza Aslan (via ma-riam)
Motherfuckas stay using "ad hominem" without knowing what it actually means. Allow me, a debate teacher, to explain you a thing.
- Ad Hominem: You're wrong because you're white, cis, male, straight, etc.
- Ad Hominem Because: It is an argument against you as a person, rather than against the point you made.
- Not Ad Hominem: The privilege afforded to you in being white, cis, male, straight, etc. has most likely contributed to the misconceptions that help form your incorrect opinion about this issue.
- Not Ad Hominem Because: It is an argument against an incorrect interpretation of the data in an argument. It is not an argument against you, but an argument against a flawed perspective devoid of context.
- Therefore: Unless someone literally says "you're wrong because you're white, cis, male, straight, etc." then their argument isn't ad hominem.